Andrew Ranicki (University of Edinburgh) "Quadratic forms and manifolds"
Abstract and references:
The 5 lectures will outline the applications of quadratic forms to the
topology of manifolds via surgery theory. No previous exposure to
surgery will be assumed, only familiarity with
the basic algebraic topology of manifolds such as Poincaré duality. Topics covered will include:
1. Algebraic and geometric surgery
2. Symmetric and quadratic structures on chain complexes.
3. The symmetric construction
4. The quadratic construction
5. The total surgery obstruction